June 5, 2008

080604


080604, originally uploaded by Erica the Ninja.

I shot this while taking a walk to meet a new friend.

I had just gotten off the T the other day when this guy with the craziest glasses I have ever seen stopped and asked me if I had a cigarette. It felt like I pick up line, but I started talking to him anyway. It is not often that here on the East coast, people will start talking to you out of nowhere, and besides, he wasn't really exuding the creepy vibe. Turns out he lived right near me. He asked me if I wanted to hang out some time, I was sort of ambivalent (he looked only 20 and I am not looking for a date), but I am always bitching about how hard it is for me to meet people here, so I decided to say yes.

I ran into him again the other day and he asked me to come to dinner at his house. I decided to say yes. When the time came, I really, really did not want to go (I am going through emotional chaos right now and really just wanted to clean my house and do some laundry), but I went. He cooked me chicken and rice for dinner (we couldn't have beans because he just moved in and couldn't find a can opener). We watched a Japanese yakuza flick. He tried his hardest to flirt with me and to scoot closer to me on the bed (where we had to watch the movie because there was no TV elsewhere in this house, which was super awkward). I tried my hardest to send him the NO signal. It was awkward and weird, but despite that, I had a good time.

I left after the movie, thanked him for dinner and told him that he was a nice kid, but that I wasn't looking for anything. I wanted to be up front with him. And then I asked him his age...he did the whole "how old do you think I am?" bit. I shot high and guessed he was 22. He shot high (so he thought) and guessed I was 23. He is 19. LIke, the same age as my younger brother who is 7 years younger than I am.

What the fuck? What is it about me that draws 19 year olds? It was one of the weirdest experiences I have had since I moved here. I just had to laugh. I have been in a place of talking about buying a house and having kids and putting money into a Roth IRA and he is just steps out of high school. It was beyond bizarre.

I guess I can never again say that I can't meet people here, though.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that's a poppy? wow... pretty.