June 18, 2007

Really Fun Weekend.

I got drunk on Friday. I really tried to stay sober (I had wanted to train a lot of Aikido this weekend), but my co-workers got the better of me, despite my best intentions. We were having a farewell party for the Senior VP of Research at our company, and the festivities started at 4 in the afternoon. With an open bar, what was a girl to do? A glass of wine turned into a beer, and then a vodka tonic, followed by a steady stream of more vodka tonics until I lost count. Surprisingly, though, I didn't feel drunk. Buzzed, yes. Silly, yes. Drunk? Not even close. (On a side note, I wonder if it has something to do with my liver being trained at high altitude...). Anyway, my co-workers wouldn't let me go home until they were ready, which happened to be at two in the morning after spending hours at some dumb bar singing silly songs from my childhood at the top of my lungs and fending of the encroaching meat market with a stick.

The next morning I didn't feel great, but I didn't feel bad either. I had forced myself to drink a Gatorade before I went to bed, and it really helped. I slept in a bit and decided to go to Aikido. I had just showered and was about ready to walk out the door when Nan called me to see if I wanted to go to breakfast instead. Aikido? Breakfast? Aikido? Breakfast? Damn choices. I was so glad that I chose breakfast...

We went to this little cafe that had just opened up by my house (Ula...really nice). Yum. Ginger Pecan Scones and hot tea. I can't wait to go back. A little foodwaza lead to a little talking and a split minute decision was made to go to Portland, Maine. I have been wanting to visit Maine for a while, and it is as awesome as it sounds. We first headed to Cape Elizabeth, just a few minutes south of Portland (and only an hour and a half from us). Gorgeous. We climbed out onto these gigantic slate rocks that tumbled right into the ocean and did battle with the sea for a few hours (note: Nan and I lost...we had to sit in our underwear for the better portion of two hours while the seawater dried from our pants). Then, off to Portland for fish and chips, ice cream, coffee, wandering, adventure. Portland is a super cute town, fun to wander around in. It looks a lot like Boston with brick everywhere and old churches and things, but has a definitely slower pace about it. By the time I got home at 10 I was ready to pass out.

Sunday I had plans to clean my house and meet my new friends Andrea and Yiorgos for brunch. Only one of those things got done and I have to say it wasn't the dishes. I showed up at Andrea and Yiorgos's place at noon, and we enjoyed each other's company so much that I ended up staying for dinner too. A perfectly lovely Sunday afternoon lounging around, eating, drinking wine, talking, and taking a walk. Just when I thought that I didn't have any friends, life slaps me in the face with a weekend so awesome and full of friends that I have to wonder whether it was planned (:

Please come and visit me so that I can take you to Cape Elizabeth. I promise, you won't regret it.

No comments: