April 15, 2007

Perfecting the Lifewaza.

Some of you may have noticed that under "about me" on my profile, it says "Perfecting the lifewaza," so, I figured for those non-aiki inclined, I would elaborate.

As I have come to understand it, "waza" in Japanese is roughly translated as "technique." For example, the term "suwariwaza" describes a technique done while in the kneeling position, while tachiwaza (from tachi, a type of sword) describes standing techniques.

I can't remember the first time I bastardized the term "waza," but it has been completely abused ever since. When I'm tired, I'm ready for the nap-waza. When hungry, the food-waza. If I need a hug, its time for some love-waza. And so, in my silly sense of humor, the execution of living became the lifewaza.

I am only bringing this up now because I stumbled across a quote on a friend's blog the other day that I think was really appropriate. To me, it describes exactly what it means to perfect the lifewaza. I haven't gotten there, but I guess that is what keiko (practice) is for.

"The master of the art of living makes little distinction between his work and his play, his labor and his leisure, his mind and his body, his information and his recreation, his love and his religion. He hardly knows which is which. He simply pursues his vision of excellence at whatever he does, leaving others to decide whether he is working or playing. To him he's always doing both." -James A. Michener

No comments: