April 15, 2007

A healthy Amazon Addiction.

As apparent in my last couple of posts, I have been battling a crappy eye infection (which has spread to both eyes, but is healing). Everyone at work was kind of grossed out by the potential to be infected with my eye viruses, so I decided to spend a couple of days at home. And, naturally, I can't go to Aikido until this clears up, or else we might have a whole swarm of ninjas running around Boston with crusty eyes, and that just won't do.

Needless to say, I have had a fair amount of free time, with which I have:

1) not been cleaning my house
2) been spending way too much time on the internets
3) developed a healthy Amazon.com addiction.

Let me just say that when I say "healthy" I mean it more in the context of "robust" and less in the context of "beneficial for my health." For example, my alarm usually goes off pretty early in the morning, tuned to an NPR station here in Boston. As I was half sleeping through the chatter the other day, I heared some music, that, through my stupor, I think I liked. Some time later that day, I ended up on amazon, and decided to check out the album.

Amazon has this savvy little trick that they call "One-Click." It is basically where they store your purchasing information on file, and, when you decide you want something, all you have to do is click the button and it is done. No filling out forms, credit card information, etc. I realized that this is a pretty scary thing both in that 1) That is a lot of information that we allow companies like Amazon to have about us, and 2) it makes it *way* to easy to buy stuff. As I "one-clicked" my way to a new CD the other day, I realized that I had like 6 other things currently being shipped to me, mostly books. I couldn't even remember what was being shipped without going back to look at the receipts. This is getting insane.

Granted, there are worse things that one could be addicted to, like say, crack (did I mention that Joe, Taiga and I saw a woman drop her crack vial in the train station about a month ago?). Regardless, I don't need to be spending my money on every little silly book that strikes my fancy (at least not until I read the 20 or so that I have already waiting). I have officially banned myself from using Amazon for a while. We'll see how long it lasts.

No comments: